Tree reports for planning applications

If you're submitting a planning application that involves building near trees, you'll need to provide your local authority with a tree report. This should be prepared by a professional arboriculturist and will need to show that your development can be constructed in line with the British Standard guidance BS5837:2012 Trees in Relation to Design, Demolition and Construction – Recommendations. The type of tree report required will depend on what you are proposing to do and how far it is from the trees. You may be asked to provide some or all of the following: -

Tree survey
The size, age and condition of the trees on or close to your development site will be recorded and plotted on a site plan using AutoCAD. This can then be used by your architect to help design the development proposal.

Arboricultural impact assessment
We will work with your architect's plans in order to identify any potential conflict between the trees and the proposed development works. We will then help to devise the best strategy to progress your application through planning by suggesting design solutions, mitigation measures or compensatory tree planting.

Tree protection plan and arboricultural method statement
These documents will outline how trees close to the development are going to be protected, so that their roots and canopies aren't damaged by the construction works.